This summer has been a busy one! With 3 active and growing kids, I have been spending a great deal of time in the kitchen preparing snacks and meals to help my kids refuel fast! As all busy parents know, convenient and easy foods that you can grab and take out the door with you on a hectic morning or after school as you scramble to load the troops up before practice or a game are LIFE savers! For me, placing bowls of fresh, ready-to-go berries in the refrigerator at eye level are a favorite treat. Handfuls disappear before my very eyes!
But sometimes I get a little extra time to slow down and make a special treat. This summer, one of the most popular treats with my family was blueberry focaccia. This bread tastes best hot out of the oven with the smell of fresh blueberries filling the whole house. You can enjoy this treat toasted with butter or jelly for breakfast or with slices of cheese and turkey for a gourmet, bakery-style lunch. The kids even enjoy slicing it and creating their own combinations just the way the like them.
Try this recipe below for a hot berry treat and encourage your kids to add their own toppings to it. What’s your favorite way to eat this bread?
2 cups Water
2 tsp Dry Active yeast
1 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 T Olive oil
6 cups flour
2 pints blueberries
1 tsp Salt
Sea Salt or Coarse Sugar
1. Place warm water, yeast and honey in a bowl until you see bubbles from the active yeast.
2. Place the flour and the salt in a mixer.
3. Slowly pour the water mixture into the mixer until a moist ball is formed.
4. Let rise one hour in mixer bowl with a damp cloth on top.
5. Pour onto floured baking sheet and form foccacia to fit pan.
6. Add blueberries and Sea salt or Coarse Sugar on top of foccacia and let rise 1 ½ hour in a warm spot.
7. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.